You’d think staying off of drugs and alcohol would help your body become slimmer. But more often than not, we gain weight in recovery. It’s a weird concept, right? You’re getting your life on track, you haven’t touched drugs or alcohol in a while, yet as much as 65% of people are gaining weight in recovery. WHAT GIVES!?
- Eating 3 meals and 1 snack a day
- Eating lots of fruit and veggies
- Protein, protein, protein!
- Get some sleep at night
- Take vitamins to help your missing nutrients
- Practice spirituality; do yoga, explore nature, meditate, practice breathing
- Exercise for 30-45 minutes 3-5 days a week
If you noticed that you’re gaining weight, you might start to think down to yourself. You might lose self-esteem and maybe even stop eating because of it. But you should learn that instead of thinking down and giving up, you should shove it in its face and show it who’s boss. Don’t let it sink you under! You are more powerful than that. Join a gym or attend a class, find healthier meals and get some sleep. Work on your recovery, health, and mind. You got this.